7 May 2020

So much Suffering

One of the drawbacks of this blog is that it sounds like a formula. It sounds too much like if someone says this--I say this. I've tried to make it less like that by saying things like 'I might say' or 'here's how I might answer'. Highlighting this is important because people are different (I'm sure you have noticed this). Each one of us have had our own unique experience of life; different troubles, joys, backgrounds and exposure to Christianity. The difficulties we each may have (or had) about Christianity are in part formed out of these experiences.
So it's not, "this is said--then I say" but, "this is said--and then I listen and ask questions (at least I try and remember to do that). This is especially true if someone says:

"I would never become a Christian because...the world is full of suffering."


How could you possibly follow a God who has all the power to bring an end to suffering but chooses not to? (This second statement may not said but it's likely to be thought)
Suffering, that's a barrier too big to get past. That will silence the Christian. Can anyone really give an answer to suffering?

Before we open our mouths, we need to open our hearts. This is true of all issues but especially so for this one. The head might want to jump in with a trite answer but that would be unwise and unloving. Better to follow your heart and ask "Why do you say that?"

The answer might be a general observation on the suffering in the world eg famine in Yemen etc Or a more personal experience of the suffering in their world. Even if the answer is about general suffering, I want to remember at some level (even if it's not said) suffering is personal. We all have suffered to some degree, so we approach this statement as one sufferer to another.
What way this conversation will go, I will not even pretend to know. It may involve tears, anger, shrugging of the shoulders or the subject may be quickly changed to avoid any emotions. Either way, it should always be met with listening and compassion. Our hearts should break when faced with suffering.

Jesus heart broke when faced with suffering (John 11:35).

Yet the God of the Bible is not silent about suffering so I might say something like this:
"God does not watch our suffering from a distance but experienced the heartache of what it is to be fully human so that he might offer us help and hope.

One time when I was struggling with .... (Or when ... happened to me), I knew Jesus was with me and I held tight to his words "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted..."

But more than that-I follow the One who has suffered the agony of death on a cross and rose again. The fact that he's alive gives his followers hope. You see, Jesus carries us through our suffering and brings us to a place where suffering is no more. Why doesn't suffering end now? I don't know, but I look forward to the day when Jesus "will wipe away every tear from our eyes...and make all things new" That's the Christian's hope."

If there is personal suffering behind that statement, wouldn't it be appropriate to ask could you pray.

And if you're going through a time of suffering now, please let me point you to Jesus. I pray that you would know God's comfort and help through this tough time. I pray too that you would know the hope that Jesus the Risen from the dead One gives.
If you want to speak to someone about this or other things please feel free to contact me (Andrew) through 2nd Dromara Presbyterian Facebook page or Website