16 Apr 2020

What would you say?

Let’s imagine we’re having a cup of tea together, relaxing in each other’s company as friends do. I’ve just said something positive about being a Christian and you say, “I’m glad to hear that, but I would never become a Christian because…
How might you or your friends finish that sentence? Over the next few Thursdays, I’m going to imagine that sentence finished in different ways and what I might say in response.
I won’t be saying everything I could say as if it was a lecture but what I might say next as part of a conversation. Like every conversation it might lead to more questions or objections. That's how we get to understand what each other thinks without spilling blood... or tea!!!

So, you pass me another biscuit (thank you) and say, "I'm glad to hear that, but i would never become a Christian because... it's so out of date." You might even add with a rye smile, "The world has moved on beyond that old fashioned stuff of church, hymn singing and praying. Just leave it behind and try and catch up with the rest of us."

Yes I can see why you'd think that. Christianity has been around for centuries. And in a world where we celebrate the latest, shiny thing, Christianity seems dusty and out of date. Before I say anymore I'm glad of the latest technology, medicine and science. I happily live in this world of Northern Ireland 2020. But we know there are some things more important than the latest trends. We know that the deeper cries of our hearts like love, joy, hope, community, forgiveness etc are hugely important. Always were, always will be. It is into these deeper cries that Christianity speaks clearly. Christianity is not in conflict with these things. Their roots are buried in the soil of Christianity. As technology, medicine, science advances these big questions of life need answered.

Also, in a world that has given us Betamax and fidget spinners, there's something appealing about Christianity's enduring power. It has thrived across centuries and cultures, through wars, famines and pandemics and through the rise and fall of great civilisations. It's enduring power rests solely and completely on Jesus Christ. Has there ever been any other person who shines so clearly throughout history? Is Jesus' example and teaching out-dated?

How the "imaginary you" might respond only the "real you" knows. Why don’t you comment below as yourself or as a friend might respond and let the conversation continue…